KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Evangel women's basketball team is receiving votes in the latest regular-season NAIA Coaches Top 25 Poll released on Wednesday.
Evangel sits just outside the top 25 after receiving 33 votes, 6 votes shy of William Woods (Mo.) in the Coaches Top 25 Poll. The Crusaders have won five straight and are currently fourth in the Heart of America.
Evangel is five games behind No. 8 Central Methodist, who sit at the top of the table and are the highest ranked Heart team. William Penn and Clarke both dropped one spot each to No. 19 and No. 20 respectively. MidAmerica Nazarene and Culver-Stockton both received 18 votes.
The Crusaders head to Missouri Valley on Wednesday night.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000):
- Oklahoma City holds the second-highest number of No. 1 rankings with 52. Former member Union (Tenn.) holds the top spot with 59 No. 1 rankings.
- Oklahoma City is the only team in the Top 25 that remains undefeated.
- New to the Top 25: No. 24 Rocky Mountain (Mont.) and No. 25 William Woods (Mo.)
- Only eight teams remained at the same rank from the last poll.
- The same five teams remain in the Top 5 from the last poll.
- Oklahoma City holds the longest active streak in the Top 25 with 260 total appearances dating back to the 1997-98 school year.
- Union (Tenn.) and Vanguard (Calif.) are the only programs to have spent an entire season ranked No. 1 (Union: 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11) (Vanguard: 2005-06, 2006-07).
- Union (Tenn.) leads all NAIA schools with 59 No. 1 rankings. Oklahoma City is second with 52 and Vanguard (Calif.) is third with 45.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered low ratings) is removed and the team's ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the team appears on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered "receiving votes."
2019-20 NAIA Division I Women's Basketball Coaches' Top 25 Poll
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL [FIRST-PLACE VOTES]||RECORD||POINTS|
|1||1||Oklahoma City ||27-0||219|
|4||2||The Master's (Calif.)||26-2||197|
|5||5||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||26-2||192|
|8||8||Central Methodist (Mo.)||26-2||173|
|9||9||Shawnee State (Ohio)||25-4||163|
|12||14||Our Lady of the Lake (Texas)||24-5||137|
|13||12||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||24-5||136|
|19||18||William Penn (Iowa)||20-6||95|
|21||21||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||18-8||78|
|22||22||Thomas More (Ky.)||18-9||67|
|24||NR||Rocky Mountain (Mont.)||17-10||44|
|25||NR||William Woods (Mo.)||23-6||39|
Receiving Votes: Providence (Mont.) 35, Evangel (Mo.) 33, Martin Methodist (Tenn.) 29, LSU Shreveport (La.) 27, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) 18, Culver-Stockton (Mo.) 18, Philander Smith (Ark.) 9, LSU Alexandria (La.) 4, Oklahoma Science & Arts 3, Cumberlands (Ky.) 3